My name is Rachel and I’m a 20-something graduate student working on my Masters of International Development and Social Work. If you ask me where I’m from I’ll say Boston about 60% of the time and Pittsburgh the other 40%. If you ask where I’ve lived, I’ll tell you some combination of the following: Massachusetts; Pennsylvania; Ohio; Les Cayes, Haiti; and Pune, India and Bangkok, Thailand (kind of).
I started this blog in 2012 when I traveled for the first time on my own. That July, I flew from my beloved, murky Atlantic to an island in the middle of the Pacific on a research grant to Hawaii. I learned a lot about myself and my perspectives of the world on that trip. Since then this blog has been a place for me to sort through some of my thoughts about travel and the big questions it raises. What began as a site for me to share travel tips has become something much more reflective and valuable to me as I process my experiences. Sometimes it leads to a larger conversation.
I don’t claim to have any answers, but I’m content to soak up all that I can in the meantime. Turns out, the 20s are the most exciting decade of life so far and I’m looking forward to the years ahead. The world is such a diverse, beautiful, grieving, and triumphant place and I continue to search for my small place in it.